Lamb shoulder from the Pyrénées
For 4 people:
- 750 g l(1 lb 10 oz) lambschoulder from the Pyrénées, bone-in
- freshly ground pepper
- coarse sea salt
- mild olive oil
- bay leaf
- a few cloves of garlic
- 100 g (3.5 oz) cherry tomatoes
- 1 courgette
- 1 fennel
- 100 g (3.5 oz) sea salt
- 75 g (2.5 oz) brown sugar
- 25 g (2 tbsp) mustard seeds
- 25 g (0.9 oz) fennel seeds
- 25 g (0.9 oz) garlic cloves
- 10 g (0.3 oz) fresh rosemary
- 10 g (0.3 oz) fresh thyme
- zest of 1 lime
- pinch of cumin
THIS IS HOW WE DO IT:
Place the lamb shoulder in a casserole dish or roasting pan with olive oil, pepper, salt, sage, rosemary, bay leaf and a few roughly crushed garlic cloves. Bake for 2 hours in an oven preheated to 90 °C (195°F).
Meanwhile, chop the courgette and fennel into small pieces.
After two hours, increase the temperature to 110 °C (230 °F).
Add the fennel, cherry tomatoes and courgette to the pan.
Let it cook fot another 30 minutes.
Add some extra olive oil if needed.
Remove from the oven when the vegetables are nicely cooked and you lamb shoulder is about to fall apart.
Just put it onthe table like this and pull the meat from the bone.
Serve with bread.
Vraagje, de stoofpot met of zonder deksel in de oven ?